As recently reported in the popular Printing Industry blog of WhatTheyThink.com (OSHA Citations Still Cost Money, August 12, 2015), printing and printing-related business paid nearly $750,000 in penalties stemming from violations cited by the enforcement arm of the federal Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA).
Most of the citations and fines could have been prevented if the printers cited had taken advantage of OSHA’s FREE On-site Consultation program. This 100% confidential service helps small and medium-sized printers, as well as other businesses, create and improve their injury and illness prevention programs. The on-site consultation services are separate from enforcement and do not result in penalties or citations. Instead experts from state agencies or universities work in partnership to:
- Help employers recognize hazards in the workplace
- Assist employers in developing or maintaining effective safety and health management programs
- Suggest general approaches or options for solving a safety or health problem
- Identify resources available if an employer needs further assistance
- Provide employers with a written report summarizing findings
- Provide safety and health training
“Many printers may hesitate to proactively reach out to OSHA for consultation, but this free and confidential service will not only help them remain compliant but deliver a healthier work environment.” Heather Roden, Associate Product Marketing Manager, Fujifilm
Check out the OSHA website for additional information and resources dedicated to the printing industry.